Do you also speak of capacity of teamwork?
… and do your teams have the chance to show that?
… and why does it bang so often?
Exciting for me are team workshops, which are not demanded from the ranks of the team, but come from the bosses. Because then it is very often that other motives and causes appears
To understand this, first of all I would like to start with the definition of team skills. In almost every job, we expect from our employees the ability to work in a team! A nice and detailed description of what teamwork is can be found at arbeits-abc.de (German).
Herein also appears again, the communication on eye level. It is about a certain connectedness to feel. The team members want to feel integrated and to be valued and appreciated. It is also about participating and generating personal growth. Consequently, the decisions in the team are made in consensus. Etc….
But that does not help if teamwork is not lived in the company!
What does it mean – lived in team work?
It often seems like many consider this only related to the staff. If, however, you hire employees who are (supposedly) team-capable, why does it still not work?
There are several views why it does not work:
- From the perspective of the employees:
- They would like to, but are not allowed
- And again: they would like to, but cannot
- A few in the team could, a few could not
- From the perspective of the team leader:
- They do not what I say
- This is childish behavior
- And above all I have to run after everything we have to re-educate
- Furthermore from the boss’s point of view
- The team demands too much they should work
- Also the team leader did not gain acceptance
- Or the team leader has no respect for the employees, as a result we have bad mood
- And finally from the perspective of the basic conditions
- Decisions are made only by the boss or team leader
- Goals and the time for it, are set and it is said how they are to be achieved
- Everyone works only within the scope of his tasks and function description
- Being sick is frowned upon, everyone has to sacrifice themselves for the team and the company
… which definetly does not mean it!
So what is it then, that teams can work well?
First, teams must be able to spread with these abilities, which are expected of them.
- This begins with the desired democracy in the team – for this I must also be prepared to make decisions based on the consensus as entrepreneurs and executives
- It is also about the team members should classify themselves – that is only possible if the leadership style allows collaboration and participation
- The communication at eye level within the team is strongly controlled by the role model function. This means that the management style must be to involve and connect all. In doing so, I have to withstand a high dynamic, as well as give the natural flow a chance. This means that the company is open to changes of any kind and to the people and their abilities to believe and act accordingly. If I as an entrepreneur, executive, team leader cannot live this model, it will be hard for the team
- and much more ….
Do you want to change that?
- I can assist you as your consultant
- We make a company profile – Where do you currently stand with organizational culture? What is the focus? What is your management style? …
- We make a change profile – do you WANT to change the company, or the leadership or the team at all? Where exactly are you at the moment?
- Or / and we make a value profile. What is important to you and the others? Where should it be? How do the employees want to work and what do you expect from you? Where exactly does the whole team want to go – we make a group profile